There’s a lot going on this weekend, musically. I won’t be able to get to any of it, really, as I’m committed to a bunch of other stuff.
• Tonight is Os Mutantes, the Brazilian psychedelic rock band. I was first turned onto them by Brian at Anitquarium Records (their website doesn’t point this out, but the store is located on 13th St., just north of Howard. Go check them out). I’d really never heard of them until he told me it was his favorite record at the time. Anyway, they had been apart from the mid-70s until a few years ago, but are now back together and have a new album, “Haih Or Amortecedor.”
• Airborne Toxic Event is at Slowdown tonight, but the show is sold out. I wanted to go, but have other stuff going down. I saw them at Lollapalooza and they were fantastic. Hopefully, they’ll do that “Goodbye Horses” cover (originally by Q Lazzarus and in “Silence of the Lambs”) that I heard them do. Quite good.
• UUVVWWZ is doing the Sydney tomorrow night. They seem to be playing Omaha a lot more since they signed with Saddle Creek. I wonder when they’re going to do some new stuff, since their album was out with Darren Keen’s label since sometime last year.
• If you like hip hop, check out Brother Ali at the Waiting Room tomorrow. I don’t know the material well, but his publicist has been e-mailing me about it constantly for the last week. If you’re interested in listening, go to Ali’s site.
• Sunday is Flogging Molly at Stir. I first saw them at Warped Tour like 8 or 9 years ago. It was one of those, “Who is this band? Let’s go check them out,” kind of situations. They’re a good live band, but I have to admit to liking the Dropkick Murphys a little better. They’re louder and a little more punkrock, in my opinion.
Anyway, lots of options. If you plan on hitting any of these up or want to tell me how they were, say so in the comments.
Powered by Facebook Comments