Hey there, folks. There’s a good amount of shows coming up this weekend, so here’s a handy guide to what you can expect. One could stay pretty busy over the next three nights…
• 8th Wave, a band that you and I have seen a ton of times at the Ranch Bowl or Sokol or wherever, is having a “reunion” performance tonight at the Waiting Room. $8 at the door.
• I wrote about them in my column yesterday, but O’Leaver’s said tonight’s show with Western Electric is canceled. So you won’t be seeing them at O’Leaver’s tonight, but you can catch Western Electric at Barley Street on Saturday instead, if you’re so inclined.
• If I were you, I’d head to Jake’s block party in Benson, which features some great local talent. $5 in advance and $6 at the “door” and the proceeds go to fund the Found in Benson publication. The whole deal is outside on Maple and Military Streets, so hopefully the weather isn’t terrible. Here’s the schedule, according to the event’s FB page:
5-5:30 – Conchance
5:50-6:25 – The Awkwords
6:40-7:15 – Gooses
7:35-8:10 – The Matt Cox Band
8:30-9:10 – Brad Hoshaw & The 7 Deadlies
9:25-10:05 – UUVVWWZ
10:20-11 – Satchel Grande
• You also couldn’t go wrong heading around the corner to the Waiting Room for the Liquid Courage Tattoo party at the Waiting Room with The Mercurys, Filter Kings and Cover Me Badd. Free show starting at 6 p.m. and food and beverages will be provided.
• If you’re a metal guy (or gal), Mastodon will be overtaking Sokol Auditorium on Saturday night. I expect someone to give me a count of face tattoos, including that of Mastodon singer/guitarist Brent Hinds. Show is at 7 p.m. and tickets are $25 adv or $27.50 dos.
• OK Hemingway (female-fronted, funky, classic-rock-ish) is putting out a record with a show at Slowdown. CDs will be for sale at the show for only 5 bucks. 9 p.m. at Slowdown. $5 at the door.
• Check out experimental band Man Man along with Plants and Animals at Slowdown. Mike Mogis told me recently that he hopes to be recording Man Man’s new record, so that should be pretty cool. Show at 9 p.m. 13 bucks.