I’m not going to do OEA Award predictions because I already know who’s won. No, I can’t tell you. It’s a secret. Go to the awards and find out yourself. They’re Sunday night at the Hilton Omaha. You can get tickets here.
Speaking of the Grammy Awards, I have written a whole column of predictions, which you can check out in the paper and on Omaha.com on Sunday. I also talked to Omahan Tom Ware, who’s nominated to win a best album Grammy for his work on Lady Gaga’s “You and I.” Others nominated with Nebraska ties are jazz singer Karrin Allyson and the Chiara String Quartet. It would be great for Ware to win, but I’m guessing Adele will take home just about every trophy she’s nominated for.
On Sunday night just before the Grammy telecast (it starts at 7 p.m.), I’ll be doing a live chat right here on the blog and on Omaha.com/music. Tune in with me and we can talk the awards and performances. We can also mock people. It’s fun.
Now, on with the shows coming this weekend:
• Tonight at the Waiting Room is a hard rock show headlined by The Wreckage. Show’s at 9. $7 at the door.
• I like the lineup at O’Leaver’s on Saturday night. It’s Dirty Fluorescents’ one-year anniversary show with Techlepathy, Comme Reel and Melissa Dundis. As usual, show starts at 9:30 p.m. with a $5 cover.
• If I were to pick a show for the weekend, I’d go to the MS Society benefit Saturday at the Waiting Room. Not only will Rock N Roll Suicide play David Bowie’s “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars” in its entirety, but a band called the Ranch Bowl Orphans will play a bunch of songs by bands that played the old bowling alley’s stage a bunch of times. Bands such as Grasshopper Takeover, Clever, 5 Story Fall, The Fonzarellis and Blue Moon Ghetto are groups I saw there a lot.
• Singer-songwriter Jenny Owen Youngs plays the Waiting Room on Sunday. 9 p.m. show. $10 tickets.
• On Sunday after the OEA Awards, Slowdown also hosts an after-party. Snake Island! and BASSthoven play starting at 9:30 p.m. It’s free with an OEAA ticket or $5 at the door.